Coach House, CheltenhamThis was first built in 1830 as a Coach House, then converted, then extended room by room. The result combined Arts and Crafts with Georgian and Victorian Gothick.
Our work here has been incremental. The aim has been to retain the extraordinary character of the building, whilst bringing it up to date and experimenting with different techniques.
Whilst modern, the extensions and alterations have increased the rich variety of the original, adding copper and high performance glazing to the range of roofing materials, and cedar cladding to the walling. Internally polished plaster and slate have joined painted brick and pitch pine panelling on the walls; floors feature reclaimed pitch pine and bamboo.
The final portion, completed in 2004, replaced an earlier lean to with a new glazed roof and an extension, mimicking the (fake) half timbered walls of the earlier house.