Spirax SarcoA Cheltenham company world renowned for their steam systems. As part of a major reorganisation we were asked to look at their R&D needs. A one-off building within their works, acting as their international centre for R&D and testing, it acts as the main visitor entry to the whole plant.
A rapidly designed and complex project, built by Barnwood Construction under a D&B contract; Void carried the design through to completion.
Converted from a 1960s engineering works, we created a suite of offices, staff welfare facilities, training rooms and a state of the art test facility, aspiring to high standards of environmental performance:
- natural ventilation
- 'air conditioning' using phase change materials
- Sunpipes for natural daylighting
- Motion sensors on all lighting
- rainwater harvesting
- local suppliers
- heating uses waste heat from the test shop, using Spirax' own heat exchanger technology.
- Lightwells bring light through the middle of the building, and open, providing ventilation.